Privacy statement edu.lu
The privacy statement details how the Restena Foundation handles personal data when using the
edu.lu/ website and the related URL shortener ’edu.lu’.
This privacy statement was last updated on 25 November 2022.
About the Restena FoundationThe Restena Foundation interconnects and provides network and security services for research and education institutions in Luxembourg, as well as in the health, culture and national administration sectors. It also manages the .lu domain name registration infrastructure, the top level domain name for Luxembourg. More about Restena.
What data is processed?
Anybody wishing to use edu.lu must log in to their institutional account via the online account management portal set up by Restena. After logging in, only the persistent ID is processed so that the user is recognised the next time he /she logs in.edu.lu cannot trace this identifier. When a user creates a link, only the number of clicks on the link is saved.
edu.lu/ website visit: the IP address of website visitors is processed in the web server.
For what purpose is your data used?
edu.lu allows members of the research and education community in Luxembourg to shorten URLs in a secure and privacy-friendly manner. Before using the URL shortener, the link creator must be officially identified as being attached to a member institution of the community. For this purpose, processing a very limited set of pseudonymous personal data is necessary.
Personal data is processed on the basis of legitimate interest. Users, institutions and the Restena Foundation have a legitimate interest in being able to use a secure and privacy-friendly URL shortener. This interest outweighs the shoestring invasion of privacy. Only the persistent ID of the link creator is processed.
How long do we keep your data?
- IP address via web server logging: 1 week
- Persistent ID: as long as a link exists (A link does not disappear automatically, only the user can delete it).
Who do we provide the data to?
The data is not shared with any third party.
Among other things, we have taken the following security measures to protect personal data:
- Data minimization
- Processing the only persistent ID
- Federative connection (via the RESTENA network)
- DNSSEC signature of the domain name .
- Connections encrypted via TLS (https)
- Secure HTTP headers
- Management interface protected according to the standards of the Restena Foundation .
Your rights regarding your dataYou have the following rights regarding your data:
- You can submit a request to change, complete or delete your data if it is incorrect or not (anymore) relevant.
- You can request access to the data we process about you.
- You may object to the processing of your data if we process your data based on our legitimate interest or the performance of a task in the public interest.
- You may request the restriction of the processing of your data in respect of data processing to which you have objected, which you consider to be unlawful, the accuracy of which you have disputed, or where we no longer need the personal data but you need it in connection with legal proceedings.
- You can request an overview, in a structured and common form, of the data we process about you and you have the right to transfer this data to another service provider.
- You may withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data. However, withdrawing your consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on your consent before its withdrawal.
- If you believe that the Restena Foundation is not handling your personal data correctly, you can file a complaint with the Restena Foundation. However, if you and Restena do not reach an agreement and the Restena Foundation's response to your complaint does not lead to an acceptable result, you have the right to file a complaint against the Restena Foundation with the Luxembourg data protection authority. For more information on the Luxembourg data protection authority and the filing of complaints, please visit cnpd.public.lu.
To exercise these rights, contact the Restena Foundation according to the contact details section at the bottom of this privacy statement.
Amendment to the privacy statement
The Restena Foundation may make changes to this privacy statement at any time. We recommend that you consult this privacy statement regularly.
Contact detailsFondation Restena
2, avenue de l'Université
4365 Esch-sur-Alzette - LUXEMBOURG
(+352) 42 44 09-1